MEDIA NEWS FROM THE MEDWAY AIRCRAFT PRESERVATION SOCIETY
MOVEMENT CARD FOR SPITFIRE RW 388.
Spitfire Mark XIV RW388 was donated to the city of Stoke-on-Trent in 1972 by the RAF in memory of its designer, Reginald Mitchell, who was born and educated in North Staffordshire. This was a low altitude fighter with clipped wings and powered by a Packard Merlin 266 engine.
RW388 was one of a batch of 1,500 Spitfire 16s manufactured at Castle Bromwich in 1945, too late to see any war service. First taken on charge by No. 6 MU at RAF Brize Norton on July 18, 1945 a month later it was issued to No. 667 Squadron where it sustained Category Ac damage in a flying accident. Taken to No. 411 Repair and Salvage Unit on December 30 for repair, in 1946 it was sent to High Ercall for storage before returning to RAF Brize Norton on January 12, 1949. By 1951 RW388 had been allocated to No. 612 Squadron where it remained for 6 months before going to the Fighter Command Control and Reporting School. Receiving a Category 3R damage this was its last flight before it was used as a display aircraft, a gate guardian at RAF Benson and RAF Andover finishing up as a showpiece at the Royal Tournament and Edinburgh Military Tattoo. In 1972 the Spitfire was presented to the City of Stoke-on-Trent by Air Chief Marshall Sir Neil Wheeler where it was originally housed under a glass structure before moving to the city museum.
RW388 will undergo refurbishment in the hands of the volunteers of MAPSL.
Robin J Brooks. PR Director www.mapsl.com.uk