Two WW2 pilot seats from an Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Mark V have been restored for a private collector.
Like the Rochester built Short Stirling, the Whitley was one of the mainstays of Bomber
Command during the opening phases of the war. Manufactured in the Baginton, Coventry plant, the mark V was powered by two 1,145hp Rolls
Royce Merlin engines. However with the advent of the larger four engine bombers such
as the Lancaster, the Whitley was relegated to ‘Nickelling’, the dropping of leaflets
and also to become the aircraft used by the bomber operational training units (OTU). Most of this type were scrapped at the end of thewar with very little left to remind us of the Whitley.
From the same aircraft (s/n 1468) came the propeller blades to be refurbished. These blades were responsible for giving the aircraft a top speed of 227mph at a height of17,600ft. Once complete both the seats and blades will be returned to the owner to form what will eventually become a tribute to this long forgotten aircraft.